Travelling can be stressful. You need to make sure that you pack enough outfits and underwear to get you through the trip and that you don’t forget any toiletries, chargers, or any of the other small necessities that you never think about and always forget. In addition, you must make sure that all travel, sleeping arrangements, and activities have been arranged in advance, so you know where you are going and where you will be sleeping and what you will be doing. If you are in a long-term relationship, at one point or another, you are bound to travel with your significant other. The stresses of travel and being in close quarters for an extended period can lead to unnecessary drama.
Before you leave, make sure you have taken care of past traffic tickets by taking an online traffic school or defensive driving course. Then your mind will be clear of any negativity. Then, check out these tips for getting through a road trip with your significant other:
- Have a plan. Know where you are going, what route you are taking, and what stops you are making. You might even want to look at a map and see if there are any sightseeing destinations along the way. Try to incorporate activities in your trip that you will both be interested in, so that nobody feels like their interests were left out and the trip is not a bore to them. Poor planning and mismanagement of activities can lead to stress and unnecessary arguments.
- Before the trip, discover the 5 no-fuss ways to get out of a traffic ticket then make a playlist with songs that you both like. Everybody has their own musical likes and dislikes and even if you both have similar interests, you won’t always like all the same exact songs. Or you may be on completely different ends of the spectrum as far as musical tastes and need to somehow find a middle ground that you both agree on. Nothing can put a damper on a road trip more than a fight over the radio and what songs to play, so pre-plan your playlist, so there will be smooth sailing throughout your drive.
- Make sure to stop at a convenience store and get lots of snacks and drinks. Who doesn’t love food? It makes the world go around and helps keep the peace, so it is most definitely a necessity for any trip. You do not want to end up fighting during a long trip because both of you are “hangry” while driving on a never ending barren road.
- Play games. Spending hours on the road can be super boring, so try to make it as interesting in possible. Play I-spy, truth or dare, mad libs, or other random games that can keep you going. Make up games. Keep things interesting and fun.
- Take some time for yourself. During a trip, you are spending pretty much every second with your significant other. Although you may love them with all your heart, this is typically more time than you would spend with them on a regular basis and it is a lot of time to spend with another person. Too much of somebody is not always a good thing and sometimes, you just need your space. When on the road, if you are the passenger and the driver is bugging you, feel free to pretend that you fell asleep (or really fall asleep) or put on some headphones and listen to music from your phone. At the hotel, if you need some alone time, go for a walk. It’s okay to take a moment for yourself.
- Be flexible! Things don’t always go as planned, but don’t sweat it.
You are on vacation! Have fun! Share some special moments with your loved one and make memories! Be happy!